Thursday, July 29, 2010

finding ways to say "yes"

hi love dare sisters!

are you all still with us? did we lose anyone??? i admit, after reading some of these chapters, my selfish thinking totally consumed me and i quickly thought of ways that i did NOT want to do what the book was telling me to do HA!

for me, and i'm sure for many, the biggest challenge is becoming less selfish and more selfless. i had thought i had been doing a good job of this.....that is until i read day 3.

"if there were ever a word that basically means the opposite of love, it is selfishness." ummmm, that's a pretty strong statement. i mean, how many times {a day!} have i done the following:

  • complained about ALL the work i was doing around the house
OR
  • been "generous" with something and consciously or subconsciously expecting something in return.

brandon LOVES golf. and i think that's great. except for the fact it takes 5 HOURS TO PLAY! not to mention he is exhausted when he comes home. i just realized in writing this tonight, that i was ok with brandon playing golf on friday because i wanted some time to myself too, although i didn't quite say that.

SELFISH ME!

i don't know about you all, but looking for ways to say "yes" completely wore me out yesterday HA! it just so happens that it was brandon's birthday yesterday too, so i had already planned on being less selfish :) but seriously, without complaining and without saying "no", i was beat by the end of the day. but.....i did notice a change in brandon, and i like it. he just seemed more appreciative and more loving. and he's been offering me some time to get out by myself. i didn't even have to ask. i can live like this.

and i realize, as with anything, you must work at it. repeatedly. if i want to lose weight, i have to get on the treadmill. if i want to buy a new car, i have to save my money. these things take discipline and they take work.

i love how the book says, "whatever you put your time, energy, and money into will become more important to you. it's hard to care for something you are not investing in." this is SO true. why would you care about anything unless you have a vested interest in it?

i'm curious what did you all get your husbands? this was REALLY hard for me. i'm horrible at buying man gifts. i ended up buying brandon breakfast from bojangles. with my husband, southern, fried food leads straight to the heart :)

i know i've spent most of my time on day 3, but that's simply because i found that day to be most challenging and revealing to me. it really openend my eyes to ways i was being selfish that i didn't even realize.

i do want to briefly mention today's challenge, calling your husband at work unexpectedly for no reason. while i need to seriously work on my selfish tendencies, one thing i think both brandon and i do very well is we check in with each other multiple times a day. we have always done this and it has always meant so much to me. i like to know that brandon's thinking about me and i'm sure he feels the same way.

good night and stay strong sisters!

2 comments:

  1. right there with you, erin! this thing is not easy but i definitely already see it paying off. it's amazing how quickly i see the posture of joey's heart change as i make a conscious effort to be patient, kind, thoughtful (not a jerk)...keep pluggin girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bojangles breakfast...awesome! I would love to hear what gifts folks gave. Joey and i are not big on gifts. I tried to have a good attitude as i packed up my 2 lil ones to go buy the hubby a gift. I had to do a 100 point turn to get out of the garage due to construction supplies but the car did not get out unscathed. I scratched the heck out of my front fender NICE! And what was the gift that was the cause of all this...REECES. Yep that was my gift. The good news is he loved the treat...ok, love might be an exaggeration. I believe he said, this is random. And the really good news no mention yet of the scratch!

    ReplyDelete